Terrorizing World – "Enough is enough"

Time to ACT tough . Now !

Archive for August, 2012

Pune Blasts – Wednesday night could be a dry run with a major operation waiting to happen

Posted by :) on August 4, 2012

Source : Saturday, Aug 4, 2012, 8:00 IST | Updated: Saturday, Aug 4, 2012, 0:09 IST
By Partha Sarathi Biswas & Sandip Dighe | Place: Pune | Agency: DNA

Wednesday evening’s explosions in Pune appear to be more of a case of drawing attention rather than a terror attack aimed at inflicting maximum human and collateral damage, say experts.

“This attack, with its insistence on minimal damage, might be a sign that some new group is trying to make its presence felt or trying to send out a message to existing groups,” an investigating officer said.

Speaking to DNA, former director general of police SS Virk said the absence of splinters or powerful explosives in the bombs was a clear indication that the planters were not interested in causing human casualty.

The presence of a complicated circuit and a timer device, according to Virk, showed the people involved are highly skilled in carrying out terror strikes. Put in place with utmost precision, all the five bombs had only a stack of detonators, an electronic circuit powered by dry cells and timer devices concealed in some sticky substance, an expert said.

Officials from the bomb detection and disposal squad (BDDS), who successfully deactivated one of the bombs planted opposite the Kalmadi Petrol Pump, say the planters had done their homework.

“Completing the circuit and attaching a timer device requires skill. All the bombs were flawless. The circuits were perfect,” a BDDS officer said. “That one of the bombs did not go off worked to our benefit… Now we know the exact components of the bombs.”

“The design was so complex that every bomb had two timer devices,” the officer said. “The planters had used two switches to ensure that at least one sets of the bomb at the designated hour.

Pencil cells powered the ignition mechanism and the electronic circuit had nine small wires.”

The officer said that the presence of two timers made it “more difficult to deactivate it”. “We prepared a fresh assembly of controlled power, broke the circuits to activate it diverting connections of the timer and pencil cells while deactivating the original assembly,” he said.

This complex design has left investigators worried. Some now feel the explosions on Junglee Maharaj road on Wednesday night could be a dry run with a major operation waiting to happen.

Advertisements

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Two dozen Indian terrorists in Pakistan planning attack on India: Abu Jundal

Posted by :) on August 4, 2012

Source: , TNN | Aug 4, 2012, 10.51AM IST

MUMBAI: Ziabbudin Ansari alias Abu Jundal the deported terror suspect has disclosed the names of more than two dozen Indian terrorists in Pakistan, planning attacks on India.

Faiyyaz Kagzi, Raheel Shaikh, Taqueer Subhan Qureshi, Riyaz Bhatkal, Iqbal Bhatkal, Yasin Sadibaba and his mentor Aslam Kashmiri are among few who have been named by Jundal. Jundal said that he has met most of them except Bhatkals and Yasin Sadibappa in LeTcamps or annual jamaat meetings in Rawalpindi and Muridke in Pakistan.

Jundal, who hails from Gevrai taluka in Beed district was deported from Saudi Arabia and was arrested by the Delhi special cell. Jundal fled India after the Aurangabad arms haul case in 2006 and remote-controlled the November 2008 Mumbai terror attack from Pakistan. Last week he was handed over to the Mumbai police for the 26/11 terror case.

Jundal along with Abu Kahafa, Zaki Ur Rahman Lakhvi, Abu Wassi, Zarar Shah and a major general monitored the Mumbai attack. Like others Jundal too was motivating the two terrorists-Imran Babbar alias Kasha and Abu Umar at Nariman house in Colaba to fight with the police, Army and Navy till last breath.

Jundal further said that he was initiated into the core group of LeT chief Hafeez Saeed only in August 2008 four months prior to the attack. He told the police that initially around two dozen youths including few Indians were given the Daura Khas and Daura aam trainings but Lakhvi reduced it to 10. According to Jundal, initial plans was to even send one or two Indians among the ten terrorists as they would merge with the crowd and become easy to carry out the attacks. At the last moment it was dropped fearing that if they get arrested they would reveal Pakistan connection.

He further said that the initial plan to was to carry attack in the month of September 2008 when the Ramzan would be going on and most of the Muslims would be at home or mosque. However the plan was dropped because the sea would be choppy and hence they made the attempt in November 2008. Hafeez Sayeed was present only during the sermons. He wasn’t present in the control room during the attacks.aa Jundal told police.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Similarities in Pune, Gorakhpur blasts

Posted by :) on August 4, 2012

 Source : Pervez Iqbal Siddiqui, TNN Aug 3, 2012, 01.00AM IST

LUCKNOW: Striking similarities between the low intensity blasts in Pune on Wednesday and in Gorakhpur five years ago have left the UP police baffled. Just as with the police in Pune, Gorakhpur police, too, had initially dismissed the three blasts on May 22, 2007, as an attempt by local goons to spread mischief. However, a few arrests which were made later established the Indian Mujahideen’s hands behind the blast. Besides, at both Pune and Gorakhpur, new bicycles were used to plant the bombs.

On May 22, 2007, around seven pm, three blasts took place within a span of 20 minutes on a 500-metre stretch at the busy Golghar market area of Gorakhpur, injuring four people. The first blast took place at Jalkal building, the second at Baldeo Plaza, and the third at Ganesh Chauraha.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Four low-intensity blasts in Pune; one injured

Posted by :) on August 4, 2012

 Source – AMRUTA BYATNAL The Hindu

Pune police term it mischief; Centre won’t rule out terror angle

Policemen look for clues at a blast site in Pune on Wednesday.— PHOTO: PTI

Policemen look for clues at a blast site in Pune on Wednesday.— PHOTO: PTI

Four low-intensity blasts rocked the busy Junglee Maharaj Road in Pune on Wednesday evening injuring one person.

The explosions were set off with pencil cell detonators placed in a plastic bag, a dustbin and on cycles at two locations, police said.

Speaking to reporters at a blast site, Pune Police Commissioner Gulabrao Pol said it was a case of mischief and no terror act. “The situation is under control. There is no need to panic,” he added.

However, Union Home Secretary R.K. Singh said in New Delhi that it was a planned attack and terrorists’ role could not be ruled out.

The first explosion occurred around 7.30 p.m. near the Balgandharva Rang Mandir, an auditorium on Junglee Maharaj Road. Dayanand Patil, who was injured in the blast, was carrying a cake box kept in a plastic bag, police said.

He was admitted to the Sassoon Hospital, where the police recorded his evidence.

While an unconfirmed report stated that Mr. Patil was a member of social activist Anna Hazare’s India Against Corruption movement, IAC coordinator Preeti Sharma Menon denied it.

According to the police, the second explosion occurred in a dustbin outside the popular fast food joint McDonald’s. Soon after, the third and fourth blasts were reported at Dena Bank and Garware Chowk, in the same vicinity, with the explosive material planted on cycles.

Another bomb was defused by the police within the next one hour. The number of the injured might have been higher, but have not been reported as they were minor injuries.

The explosions occurred on a day the newly appointed Union Home Minister, Sushilkumar Shinde, was scheduled to visit the city. The visit was, however, cancelled earlier in the day. The Home Ministry has rushed a team of National Investigation Agency sleuths to probe the blasts.

Talking to journalists in New Delhi, Mr. Shinde said a team of the NIA and a bomb disposal squad of the National Security Guard were rushed to Pune. “I have no information of its being a terror attack,” he said.

Alert in Delhi

PTI reports:

Delhi was put on heightened vigil with the deployment of armed police personnel across the city in the wake of the Pune blasts.

Roads were barricaded and vehicles checked, while security was strengthened at vital installations like Parliament and other key buildings.

The police also strengthened security at Jantar Mantar, where Anna Hazare and his team are on an indefinite fast.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »