Terrorizing World – "Enough is enough"

Time to ACT tough . Now !

REIGN OF TERROR : Taliban stop troops from entering Swat

Posted by :) on April 26, 2009


Convoy Withdraws From Qambar, Averting Any Clash

Islamabad: Taliban fighters on Saturday prevented a convoy of security forces from entering their stronghold in the northwestern Swat valley, a day after the Pakistan Army chief pledged to eliminate militants who challenge the writ of the state.
A convoy of seven army trucks was stopped by armed Taliban militants at Qambar, a small town near Mingora, the main city in Swat valley, witnesses and Taliban spokesman Muslim Khan said.
Witnesses said the convoy withdrew from Qambar after the Taliban forced the troops to go back, averting any clash. There was no official reaction to the Taliban preventing the convoy from entering Swat. Sources said local authorities were consulting Taliban leaders to convince them to allow the convoy to move into the area.
The Taliban action could lead to a worsening in the situation as army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani announced on Friday that his force is “determined to root out the menace of terrorism” and “would not allow the militants to dictate terms to the government or impose their way of life on the civil society”.
Taliban spokesman Muslim Khan told reporters that the deployment of additional troops in Swat is against a peace deal signed in February to introduce Islamic laws in Malakand division, which
includes Swat.
Khan said the militants could not allow the troops to be deployed in Swat after the peace agreement. Official sources, however, said the agreement allowed the free movement of security forces.
The Taliban and security forces declared separate ceasefires after the peace deal but militants continue to occupy many parts of Swat, local residents said. Prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Friday that his government could review the peace deal in Swat if the Taliban did not stop interfering in the administration’s affairs.
Interior ministry chief Rehman Malik has also warned the Taliban to vacate all villages in Swat. However, local residents said the Taliban now control over 80 per cent of Swat,which
was a popular tourist destination till about two years ago, and patrolling all the key roads in the valley.
They said the Taliban had also set up their own courts despite the agreement that envisages the constitution of Qazi or Islamic courts in Swat. Hundreds of Taliban from Swat who entered Buner district, some 100 km from Islamabad, have withdrawn from the area in the wake of threats of action by the security forces.
Police laxity caused Lahore attack
Lahore: A judicial tribunal that probed last month’s terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team here has concluded that it was caused by “laxity” among police officers guarding the visiting players.
The report of the tribunal headed by Justice Shabbar Raza Rizvi of the Lahore High Court, submitted to the government on Friday, said “laxity” on the part of police officers providing security to the team was the “prime cause” for their failure to thwart the attack, official sources said.
Eight persons were killed and over 20 others, including several Sri Lankan players, injured when over a dozen terrorists ambushed the team’s motorcade at the busy Liberty traffic roundabout near a stadium here on the third day of the second Test on March 3. AGENCIES

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: